TL;DR: Roommate needed, with stipulations and bullet points: You’ll get a great place to live if you’ll hear me out. Wanna live in a decent place in Sussex? Here ya go.
QR Code Link to This Post
My husband and I are potentially splitting up and he’s moving out. Since most of the stuff in the house is mine, I really don’t want to move out and “downsize.” I don’t have the worst commute to work and it’s safe and comfortable here in Sussex. So I’m offering the spare room at my place.
What I would expect for you to pay:
• $500/mo which includes water, but not utilities (about $175, a month, to be split, possibly less) and whatever we agree on for cable/internet (I’m happy to go cheap). There is no outside maintenance to worry about. Rent is actually $1100 but I would give you the deal for having the smaller bedroom (but your bathroom is better than mine!).
What you would expect for living here:
• Your own bedroom with two fullsize closets for your stuff, partially furnished if you want (twin bed, small table with storage and small dresser but you’d probably need a desk)
• bathroom with most things in place
• linen closet at your disposal
• full use of kitchen with most kitchen options provided including all the usual: fridge, stove, dishwasher, garbage disposal, laundry/dryer in apt. (amazing!) and kitchen storage for any of your effects
• a direct router hookup to your room if you don’t want to rely on wifi
• a mostly furnished shared living area with couch, futon, dinner table, Star Wars piano bar (please ask!) and other items (if you’re okay with not having a TV out there, so am I) but a rocking chair would be cool
• a decent amount of garage storage space for odds and ends, including the rafters (I will be parking in the garage, and there is no basement storage)
• your own parking spot you can see from the patio and your bedroom (which is awesome),
• mostly sane neighbors (though it is a lower apt. and you can hear the upstairs people)
What you can expect out of me:
• I’m a professional music educator. I work 4 days a week at my school (not Fridays).
• I won’t accept illegal drugs or actions of any sort, but am fine with drinkers and possibly smokers as long as it is ONLY on the patio, but prefer non-smokers.
• I am a crazy cat lady, so I’m thrilled if you have a cat as I also have one (she’s mostly chill, but you know. Cats.).
• Unless we actually become friends, I don’t expect the need to hang out and chill in times we’re home together; I’m happy to stay in my room and hang there.
• I am a nerd at heart and love anything sci-fi, music, cats, and other things.
• Stay out of my room for all reasons unless you clean the catbox in the backroom.
• You will have your own keys and we would share a mailbox (in which we can talk about who gets mail daily).
• Since I’m a music teacher, I love quiet at night. Please don’t be the type who needs general NOISE.
What I expect out of you:
• At least a six month lease agreement with a months’ notice if you want out.
• I give zero shits about your gender or orientation as long as you as a respectful roommate. You can be a lesbian, straight male, trans with purple hair or a Wookie: as long as you respect me (as I will you), let’s work it out. I’m definitely not looking for any sort of romantic partner as of now.
• I would prefer someone who works close to if not fulltime, preferable days and M-F (though that’s not always possible). Professionals are welcome. Just pay your shit.
• Obviously, payment of rent and utilities on time. I will prove I pay them via any way you find acceptable. I have both Venmo and Zille to make things easy.
• You can come and go as you please with respects to my day, as I will respect yours. I would appreciate a first-shifter but again, as long as you don’t wake me up at 2am and cook dinner at 2:15am with your three friends you just made, I’m cool. Just bring home some shitty Taco Bell and eat it in your room with your cat (and take it out with the garbage).
• Knock yourself out with any sort of cleaning – this to me is a HUGE plus. I would prefer to live with someone who is mostly a neat freak. I expect you to help out in the house – take care of your own bedroom and bathroom, but also the shared areas, like vacuuming. Again, if you bring a cat, I expect you to clean catboxes. Chores like garbage and recycling can be shared every other week as agreed.
• I keep a calendar on the fridge, and if you plan on being gone on weekends or have other things you feel I should know, I would appreciate them on the calendar.
• Packers/Brewers fans are a major bonus. If you like the Golden Girls, you are my new best friend.
• Again, you must love or tolerate cats – that is a non-negotiable.
• If you have a significant other, that’s cool – just keep it respectable. But no third roommate.
It may seem like I’m demanding a lot for a roommate, but I think I’m also giving the right person a good place to live at a reasonable price for the foreseeable future. Please let me know ASAP if you think you’re a good fit with me.